Sunday, December 12, 2010

ELECTRIC GUITAR PROJECT part 22

Another installment of the guitar that never quits being unfinished.

Previously, I put veneer around the headstock, and now it's time for the face to be veneered. This job made me nervous because I've never veneered anything before.

With much uncertainty I used masking tape to hold these 3 pieces together, and then took a deep breath and fearfully applied them with contact cement. Then I removed the masking tape and this is what I had.

Here's the back view. I allowed plenty extra veneer for trimming just in case I didn't measure something right.

I loaded up all the pieces with plenty penciled-in center lines and guide marks. That helped a lot.

After everything was good and cured I trimmed off the excess and was relieved to find it was actually centered like I wanted. What is going on? Nothing is ever that simple or easy!

The bad news. I was right; nothing IS ever that easy. I pierced the veneer where the tuning pegs holes were and saw they weren't centered properly. The veneer was right but the holes were in the wrong places. It never showed up until I put the veneer on it. I don't think it's a big problem though, and I may inlay a thin line of walnut veneer to shift the balance of the pattern just a tad. If I put the inlay to the left of both lines it should hide everything well enough.

Here's a panorama shot of my desk at work.

I've been wondering how well that camera would do taking a vertical panorama picture of myself. Now I know. This will go on my list of Things to only try once.

4 comments:

  1. You may be interested to know that right below the "panaramic" Keith in your post, in the "You might also like:" section, was the post for Barney the Boney Fatso. Just thought you should know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got that same green jacket...in a small.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails